I am a hospice chaplain serving as the Spiritual Care Coordinator of a hospice & home health agency. I consider it a privilege to be able to spend some of the most intimate times of a person's life with them.

Monday, November 06, 2006

Eternity – Whether you like it or not

Once we ate the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good an evil, that knowledge brought with it suffering. For many years I have thought that the phrase “the wages of sin is death” to be punishment for wrongdoing. I now view it as the opposite. He decided to limit the number of years of suffering that we were to experience by taking us through the transition of death into eternal life, thus securing our future.

As you can see, eternity gained through the transition of death is God’s rescue of a fallen world. Whether we like it or not, eternity has been granted to all. But eternity is only the introduction into salvation. How or where we spend that eternity is what God has given us with free will.

Now you may ask, is there truly a heaven or hell? I believe both exist. Just as I want to be with the one I love, so I perceive heaven as eternity spent in the presence of God. Alternatively, hell then would be an eternal existence without God’s presence. This type of pain is one that I cannot conceive of and burns deeper for me than fire and brimstone.

Once given the freedom of choice God places into our own hands the destination of our eternal life. Those who choose to spend it without Him, He cries over. (see Revelation for quote).

No comments: